Our client is seeking an experienced Systems Engineer III with a solid understanding of Exchange and the Windows Server operating system to join their IT Department.
- Administering a complex site alone or assisting in the administration of a larger site.
- Initiating new responsibilities and helping to develop plans for the future of the site/network.
- Evaluating and/or recommending critical IT purchases; requires ability to appropriately recommend and influence the purchasing process.
- Managing junior level system engineers.
- Performing weekend on-call functions.
- Performing additional IT related tasks, as assigned by management.
Two years of college or equivalent post-high school education or experience. A degree in computer science or a related field is preferred.
Three to five years of system administration experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Capable of writing purchase justifications
- Training users in complex topics
- Making presentations to an internal audience
- Interacting positively with upper management.
- Independent problem-solving and self-direction.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Comfortable with most aspects of operating system administration; for example, configuration of mail systems, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software.
- Solid understanding of Windows Server operating systems and familiarity with Linux-based operating systems
- Understands paging and swapping, inter-process communication, devices and what device drivers do, filesystem concepts (inode, clustering, logical partitions).
- Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts
- Working knowledge of NFS/SMB/FTP/SSH & HTTP; authentication via OpenLDAP and Active Directory
- Configure and administer DHCP and DNS
- Manage multiple domains; understands basic routing concepts.
- Familiarity with MS Exchange.
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (e.g., PowerShell, Python, Ruby, etc.).
- Ability to do minimal debugging and modification of compiled programs.